Monday, April 18, 2011

Just Another Monday!!!

As I sit here at my desk tonight, I have been thinking about how I want to write tonight's blog post.  I have many thoughts and feelings I want to express on this subject and I was trying to think best how to word them.  But hey, after all it is my blog so I think I am going to tell it like it is.  My blog is not my arena to hold back I have decided.  I hold back in other areas of my life.  This is the one place where I can let loose and just be me.

As many of you know, I am the Team Captain of Team BNRAA of Etsy and I belong to several other BNR teams.  For those of you that don't know what a BNR on Etsy is this is difficult to explain but it is a gambling game of sorts.  You buy into it hoping that someone will like your shop and buy you out.  You gamble that they will buy you out for more than what you bought in for.  There are several styles of the game.  Some styles give you the chance for multiple sales in one round.  Some are simple one for one.  Every curator does their own style of game.  Plus you get to meet alot of people and get your name out there.

Alot of people on Etsy will disagree on the purpose of BNRS.  I think they are a very important part of etsy.  New shops need them to get their feet wet on etsy and meet some people and learn the ropes.  Experienced people are there to help the newbies.  We all chat, network, have a great time and network and yes we buy each others stuff.  But I do it with the hope that someone will see my hair bow on someone's head out there and say where did you get that??  And they will say from Heathermaizy on etsy.  And this person will look me up and I will get a new customer out of it.  I know when someone asks me where I got something, I tell them exactly where I got it.  I got it from so-and-so on etsy.com!!!  I do it with the hopes they will go and look at their website.  These are all of the reasons why I think BNRS are important but not everyone sees this the same way I do and this has been an internal debate on etsy for quite a long time now.

Now we in the BNR world have our own internal war going on!!!  We have decided to compete against ourselves to the point where it has become destructive.  No one is getting any sales in their bnrs anymore.  My own team BNRS have become somewhat of a joke.  Where I used to love to curate, I dread it now.  Half of the time, I am competing against my own team members. There can be up to 20 bnrs going on at once!!  What is up with that??  I remember the days when there were a total of three going on.  Me, lucy, and someone else would have one going on.   I try to post in the newsletters when I want to open but people ignore or just plain don't care.  Why would you work against the people who have your best interest at heart I will never understand. 

While I will continue to strive to have the best quality team that I can and make the best decisions for my team that I can, I may have to make some drastic changes to the team.  I want team players and people who are really there to be on the team.  Not people who just pop in every once in awhile or who use the team to just further their own agenda.  I am there for the betterment of the other shops, I would like to see someone who is also to there to support me and help me.

When it's all said and done what will happen to BNRS??  Will they go by the wayside??  I hope not.  They are so important like I outlined earlier.  I hope they are here to stay.  I hope my work with the team remains successful.  Keep reading to see if BNRS drop off the face of the earth or they make a rousing comeback!!!

2 comments: